Oregano Essential Oil
Oregano natural oil obtained by distillation and having the characteristic odour of the plant and coconcentrated hydrophobic liquid containing volatile aroma compounds.
- Some of the main components
- Doses and way of use
- Additional Information
- Reviews (0)
- Respiratory Conditions: Oregano essential oil can act as an expectorant, which will loosen up or help eliminate the uncomfortable buildups of mucus and phlegm in the respiratory tracts and sinuses, but it is also a soothing balm for inflamed lungs and the throat, which often stimulate coughing fits. Therefore, oregano essential prevents and treat symptoms of respiratory ailments.
- Anti-inflammatory: This oil is good on soothing many types of inflammation, internal or external, caused by a variety of reasons. When this oil is applied topically, it can reduce redness and irritation to the applied area, and it can relieve topical pain that might be associated with arthritis or injury.
- Anti-bacterial: Just as it protects you against viral infections, oregano oil protects you against bacterial infections as well. This gives you an added level of protection against most bacterial diseases, such as infections in the colon and urinary tract, as well as typhoid, cholera, sores, skin infections and temporary problems like food poisoning.
- Anti-fungal: Viruses, bacteria, fungi and protozoa are the four agents which are responsible for communicable and infectious diseases. Out of these, fungi are responsible for some of the most dreaded and fatal infections, both internal and external. They can cause ugly, painful, and even deadly infections in the ear, nose and throat.
- Many skin infections are also caused by these fungi. Oregano Oil, if used regularly, either internally or externally, can effectively protect the body against many of these fungal infections.
- Anti-viral: Oregano essential oil provides protection against viral infections. This means that it strengthens your immunity against colds, mumps, measles, pox and other problems created by viruses.This boost to the immune system also helps to defend against deadly viral infections and even certain autoimmune disorders. Oregano essential oil stimulates the production and function of white blood cells, the body’s main line of defense.
- Anti-oxidant: This property turns out to be one of the most celebrated attributes of oregano essential oil, because it protects you from the damages done to the body by free radicals (oxidants), and it neutralizes the free radicals, while repairing the damage already done. This slows down the aging process and protects against certain cancers, macular degeneration, degeneration of muscle due to aging, wrinkles, loss of vision and hearing, nervous disorders and many such ailments related to premature aging and the effects of free radicals. More specifically, oregano essential oil contains phenols, a powerful form of antioxidant that literally scours the body and eliminates those free radicals that cause disease.
- Emenagogue: This oil is also beneficial for regulating menstruation and delaying the onset of menopause. Those who are suffering from obstructed menses may also find relief from using oregano essential oil. As an emenagogue, a woman can reduce her symptoms of oncoming menopause, including mood balance and hormonal shifts because of the hormonal regulation quality of oregano essential oil.
- Anti-allergenic: This is another side of the sedative and anti-inflammatory properties of Oregano Essential Oil. Allergies are hyper-reactions of the body towards external stimuli. Oregano Oil, being sedative in nature, calms down this hyper-sensitivity and is known to give relief from allergy symptoms. From its anti-inflammatory quality, the severity of an allergic reaction can be reduced, which is especially important for serious allergic reactions like anaphylactic shock, or swelling of the throat.
- Digestive: Oregano essential oil promotes digestion by increasing the secretion of digestive juices, and it also increases nutrient digestibility and enzymes which aid in absorbing food. This can improve your general level of health by maximizing the nutrients you get from food.
- Oregano oil can either be applied topically or ingested, depending on the condition you're using it for. However, we advise against using the oil full-strength, as it can irritate your skin. Do not apply it to broken skin and open wounds as well.
- Oregano oil is meant for short-term use only, and, if using orally, should be taken in small doses of four to six drops for only seven to 10 days
Oregano essential oil can cause irritation of the skin and mucus membrane if taken in high concentrations or dosages. Pregnant women should avoid using it, and it is a good idea to consult with your doctor before adding it in any significant way to your diet. Due to its general stimulation and regulation of the hormones, it can potentially result in a miscarriage if the hormone to induce periods is stimulated. Also, like with any new dietary supplement or food, check with your doctor about allergies. People that are allergic to basil, lavender, marjoram, mint, or sage are also commonly allergic to oregano and its essential oil.